Skip to main content

Punks-The Tuesday After Saturday

Minnie was 14. She liked wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Minnie never slept anymore, so Minnie was high a lot.
It was 6:30 in the morning and she could hear her father awake, moving in the upstairs, from room to room. She could hear the drag of her mother's feet following him. And she could hear her mother crying, whimpering.
But everybody knew it was going to happen this time.
This time, her father had not changed his mind. This time he had not given in.
Minnie could feel the hate wrench in her stomach, could feel that same hate in her eyes and across her mouth, as she took the last toke off the joint. She did not care anything for her father.
Minnie tried to care for her mother.
She heard the sudden thump and patter of Teddy and his seven year old feet upstairs. Minnie tossed the roach into her ashtray, lit, and got up off her bed; quickly, to cross her basement bedroom floor. She climbed the stairs, into the kitchen, where her parents now were.
"...fucking mess. Everything. You. You are a fucking mess," her father's voice full of disgust.
And when Minnie entered the kitchen, she saw her mother's face, so ugly. So at the end of its world.
And Teddy appeared in the kitchen doorway, rubbing his eyes, in his red Power Rangers pajamas. "Mommy? Mommy? Minnie?" his voice soggy; he was not awake. He could not remember that today was the day.
"Teddy, go back to your room. Go back to your room, Teddy," Minnie said, to him.
Minnie’s father turned to look at her, then over to his son sitting in the kitchen doorway.
"No, no, Teddy, stay right here" he urged. "Take a good look at what women are and draw your own conclusions."
"Shut the fuck up, Daddy," Minnie said, to his back, and he turned towards her, again.
And Minnie watch her mother slide to the floor, in front of the refrigerator. Minnie watched her mother cover her ears and her face, and hide herself in lap.
"No, no, no," the woman cried, into herself. Within herself. For herself.
Minnie’s had his shoes already on and he was looked at his daughter.
"Remember when you were only just a whore?" he said, to her.
And when he laughed, Minnie spit it his face. The spit was thick, the pasties starting to come on, inside Minnie's mouth. It landed and hung from his eye and then plopped on to his cheek, a slow ooze, sliding.
And Minnie smiled her best smile at her father.
And when he slapped her across the face, all she did was laugh back at him. Minnie had kept her footing.
"Daddy’s little girl...Daddy's little girl...Daddy's little girl," she chanted into his eyes. She chanted until he turned. She chanted until he walked out the back door of the house, picking up the two suitcases that had been sitting there, waiting, since the last night. He did not care enough to slam the door. Instead Minnie’s father left it hanging, left it to figure itself out.
And when the door finally found its place, Minnie's mother let out the sound.
Of nothing.



Comments

Connie said…
The image of the door closing itself is potent.
Nice ending.
Justin said…
That was pretty good . . .
Crazyness said…
It was Awesome!
Krish said…
now ..i know little bit abt u ...
..pain..pain..everywhere..:)

thx for leaving a comment in my blog..
Queenie said…
There is no pain
You are receeding...

Q
Anonymous said…
It was the stuff between the words that were laden with images. Wow, thanks so much for that. Sorry though, if it was you.

Frikin' people and their idiotic perpensity for violence and humiliation. Geez

Todd Vodka
www.blithelywego.blogspot.com
Queenie said…
It was not.

Q
Master said…
That was an awsome story...

Popular posts from this blog

Again

When I was in Ottawa, abandoned and enthralled,
breathing in the
heat waves shimmering off the people
and the cats
and that lazy raccoon that I later named Mondrian in my mind
after I saw my first one,
I did not look for you.
Nor in the malls, the halls,
the magazines, in the new towns,
or down the old roads,
on silver screens, between the book shelves, down on my knees
hands in the clover.
Never.
I took you for granted.
Oh hey.
There you are.

I know myself
Far, far, far more than I let on
I know what I am doing.
Regardless.


Love is such an easy word.
Besides, it's a given,
We can keep it there, easy, big, broad like the straight black painted lines, it's nice.
Effortless. Quiet. Assured.
So then, I guess that it is not the word.

Punks-Starting to Remember

Minnie is 14. She likes wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Right now, Tommy is arguing with her. "Vitto will be waiting for me then."
"He can wait longer," she tells him. "Tell him there was too many cops following you around or something."
"Yeah," Tommy says. "That might work. Vitto would believe that. Three different cops stopped me on the street this week."
"What?" Minnie almost shouted. "Oh, Tommy. They are on to you."
“No, they aren't."
But she knew. "For sure they are. Listen. Meet me outside the pool hall at 9:30. I'll havethe dope then, Tommy."
“No. I really should go see Vitto first.” He kisses her quickly on the forehead and then runs home to make himself some Kraft Dinner for supper.

When he walks in the front door, there is Momma with a bottle of whiskey tucked between her legs, her head rolled to the back of the couch, her mouth open.
"What the fuck, Momma?” Tomm…

Quiet Company

I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold, I'm being sold-out
It is torture but
I don't even care
Except to love you more, to love myself more
Those hot-burned tears for you as I rally to save my skin
wind down me and leave behind gold and green
and I don't stop looking
until I look upon you
What on earth...
I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold.
I'm being sold-out.


Sunlight filtering through cracks
in the sky
in the walls
fall across your skin
I fingerpaint across your chest
Every word
known to man
and found in you

Fresh snow
Our footprints mark us
You are here!
I am here!
We are here!
Turn your face upwards
Let falling snow rest on your eyelashes
(dream of me)
Let the white melt on your outstretched tongue

Sing.
It's spring.
Just one word.


I'd sit across the hall
looking upwards until I saw the flicker; light on
Sit with you while your busy hands rolled over these plains, these fields
The stretches of nothing
(Look at…