Skip to main content

Iron Clothes

489 A.D.

Everything felt new to Gryfflette, as he wandered through the thick grass; it was damp and his ankles were cold. Everything felt new to Gryfflette because in a sense, everything was new. Springtime had begun and the many rains over recent days had started the growth of life.
On this day, Gryfflette saw that the sun was sometimes hiding behind the clouds; they were rimmed in grey, but otherwise white. When the sun hid behind these clouds, Gryfflette would feel horribly cold; no relief he could think of for his bare arms. But this was not reason enough for him to go back home.
The wind whipped his blond curls; sometimes covering his eyes, so sometimes Gryfflette could not see.
Gryfflette was not far from home. He was only twenty feet away, down the small steep hill of Benwick, and his mother knew where he was. She knew her child and her child was always wandering, wandering.
Malaline was Gryfflette’s mother. Malaline had lost Gryfflette once, but only once. Just for ten minutes, just that one time, when Gryfflette had just turned to the age of three.
Just that one time, when Gryfflette was chasing that snake.
Malaline’s heart had pounded so, those moments when she realized she had lost Gryfflette. For Gryfflette was her only son and her husband would surely have killed her, had he been found dead.
However, Gryfflette had not been found dead because on that day, he had only been chasing that green and gold snake, which was fat in the belly, and slow enough for three-year old legs to keep up with.
And thankfully, slow enough for Malaline’s legs to catch up with, too. Her hands were also quick enough to catch the snake. She had made Gryfflette eat it for supper that night.
She had also smacked his face, when she had caught up to him.
Gryfflette was four and half, now, so he never wandered, wandered very far.


Gryfflette had only stopped wandering now, for he was enthralled with the white-lined body of wiggles he found beneath the rock, which he was holding in his hand. The wiggles were grubs, but he did not know. He was deciding whether to eat one and he did not hear the sudden silence, until the trumpets sounded.
Romans arriving.
Every hair on Gryfflette’s body stood on end. This was another new feeling for him. He knew everybody in the village would be excited, and he turned to run home because he was excited, too.
His mother was running towards him, down the hill; Gryfflette noticed right away. When they reached each other, she scooped him into her arms.
“Gryfflette,” she murmured, into his curly hair.
The rock in his hand dropped back onto the ground, killing a spider and severing off three of its seven and half legs. His mother began to run, tripping on her brown dress skirts, as she climbed back up the small hill.

Comments

phoebe said…
are we being introduced to a new character we can safely allow ourselves to get attached to, Q?
Queenie said…
:) Up to you.

Q

Popular posts from this blog

Again

When I was in Ottawa, abandoned and enthralled,
breathing in the
heat waves shimmering off the people
and the cats
and that lazy raccoon that I later named Mondrian in my mind
after I saw my first one,
I did not look for you.
Nor in the malls, the halls,
the magazines, in the new towns,
or down the old roads,
on silver screens, between the book shelves, down on my knees
hands in the clover.
Never.
I took you for granted.
Oh hey.
There you are.

I know myself
Far, far, far more than I let on
I know what I am doing.
Regardless.


Love is such an easy word.
Besides, it's a given,
We can keep it there, easy, big, broad like the straight black painted lines, it's nice.
Effortless. Quiet. Assured.
So then, I guess that it is not the word.

Punks-Starting to Remember

Minnie is 14. She likes wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Right now, Tommy is arguing with her. "Vitto will be waiting for me then."
"He can wait longer," she tells him. "Tell him there was too many cops following you around or something."
"Yeah," Tommy says. "That might work. Vitto would believe that. Three different cops stopped me on the street this week."
"What?" Minnie almost shouted. "Oh, Tommy. They are on to you."
“No, they aren't."
But she knew. "For sure they are. Listen. Meet me outside the pool hall at 9:30. I'll havethe dope then, Tommy."
“No. I really should go see Vitto first.” He kisses her quickly on the forehead and then runs home to make himself some Kraft Dinner for supper.

When he walks in the front door, there is Momma with a bottle of whiskey tucked between her legs, her head rolled to the back of the couch, her mouth open.
"What the fuck, Momma?” Tomm…

Quiet Company

I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold, I'm being sold-out
It is torture but
I don't even care
Except to love you more, to love myself more
Those hot-burned tears for you as I rally to save my skin
wind down me and leave behind gold and green
and I don't stop looking
until I look upon you
What on earth...
I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold.
I'm being sold-out.


Sunlight filtering through cracks
in the sky
in the walls
fall across your skin
I fingerpaint across your chest
Every word
known to man
and found in you

Fresh snow
Our footprints mark us
You are here!
I am here!
We are here!
Turn your face upwards
Let falling snow rest on your eyelashes
(dream of me)
Let the white melt on your outstretched tongue

Sing.
It's spring.
Just one word.


I'd sit across the hall
looking upwards until I saw the flicker; light on
Sit with you while your busy hands rolled over these plains, these fields
The stretches of nothing
(Look at…