Skip to main content

Teen Dreams

16 Years Old

Tommy flushed the condom down the toilet. He did not care if it went down or not; he turned, heading out of the too purple bathroom. The small space made his head hurt.
Minnie laid, stretched, on the pull-out and it's flimsy matress; back in her red shirt that matched her lips. She had quite a few shirts she could do that with. Tommy thought it was wonderful she even could.
"You wanna watch a movie or something?" she asked.
But Tommy did not want to stay. He was tired. It was after 11.
"I am already grounded. And I am here. I better go," he said to her.
And Minnie shrugged.
"Whatever," she smiled. And he did not know if it was nice.

Momma had been having a bad week. She had called home after midnight from Moonshines the night before last, telling him where the money was in her room. How he had to wait up for her to come in the taxi. The guy she had been with had left her and she was paranoid.
Because everyone there was talking about her.
She went back there last night, anyway.
And when Tommy had woke this morning, he found she was still not home. Or so he had thought until he opened the front door, backpack swung on his shoulder, to find Momma.
Laying there on the porch on her side, legs sprawled like the weediness of her skewed hair. The back of her light purple flowered dress was up folded to her waist.
Exposing one buttock, her old white underwear wedged over and in.

Tommy was cutting through the park on his way home. The park with the posted signs that had red lettering. Dawn Until Dusk Only.
The park had no order to the proud pine trees, that stood tall, wherever they pleased.
He came up to the more open space where the playground equipment was.
He saw she was there.
He knew her right away, even in the dark.
She sat, leaned against the wooden railings of the five-person swing set.
He approached her quietly and only announced himself when she looked up.
"Hey," he said, just loud enough.
"Hi," he barely heard her whisper and he knew she was sad.
He came to her, sitting down beside her in the grass.
"It is bad and I do not want to go back," she said, angry, facing her lap. "Can I stay at your house tonight?"
She looked at him then, her blue eyes clear in their pain. Some much hope riding on him.
He thought of how little she really knew.
And then he kissed her.
And she cried as she pulled away, pushing him with hands.
"Tommy, no, I love you, do not," she implored him with her eyes. She felt too much hurt already. She was scared of more.
And he could not help himself.
He grabbed her and kissed her again.

Comments

AJ said…
I like the texture of your "Tommy" stories, Queenie. Whispy, smokey; grainy and dimly lit. Wonderful theater of the mind...

:)
Queenie said…
Silly.
You create that.
It is you with the wonderful theatre.

Q
I agree with AJ about the Tommy vibe. It's really wonderful. Feels like a Bogdanovich movie.
AJ said…
Maybe, but you cant build a house without the materials... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Again

When I was in Ottawa, abandoned and enthralled,
breathing in the
heat waves shimmering off the people
and the cats
and that lazy raccoon that I later named Mondrian in my mind
after I saw my first one,
I did not look for you.
Nor in the malls, the halls,
the magazines, in the new towns,
or down the old roads,
on silver screens, between the book shelves, down on my knees
hands in the clover.
Never.
I took you for granted.
Oh hey.
There you are.

I know myself
Far, far, far more than I let on
I know what I am doing.
Regardless.


Love is such an easy word.
Besides, it's a given,
We can keep it there, easy, big, broad like the straight black painted lines, it's nice.
Effortless. Quiet. Assured.
So then, I guess that it is not the word.

Punks-Starting to Remember

Minnie is 14. She likes wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Right now, Tommy is arguing with her. "Vitto will be waiting for me then."
"He can wait longer," she tells him. "Tell him there was too many cops following you around or something."
"Yeah," Tommy says. "That might work. Vitto would believe that. Three different cops stopped me on the street this week."
"What?" Minnie almost shouted. "Oh, Tommy. They are on to you."
“No, they aren't."
But she knew. "For sure they are. Listen. Meet me outside the pool hall at 9:30. I'll havethe dope then, Tommy."
“No. I really should go see Vitto first.” He kisses her quickly on the forehead and then runs home to make himself some Kraft Dinner for supper.

When he walks in the front door, there is Momma with a bottle of whiskey tucked between her legs, her head rolled to the back of the couch, her mouth open.
"What the fuck, Momma?” Tomm…

Quiet Company

I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold, I'm being sold-out
It is torture but
I don't even care
Except to love you more, to love myself more
Those hot-burned tears for you as I rally to save my skin
wind down me and leave behind gold and green
and I don't stop looking
until I look upon you
What on earth...
I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold.
I'm being sold-out.


Sunlight filtering through cracks
in the sky
in the walls
fall across your skin
I fingerpaint across your chest
Every word
known to man
and found in you

Fresh snow
Our footprints mark us
You are here!
I am here!
We are here!
Turn your face upwards
Let falling snow rest on your eyelashes
(dream of me)
Let the white melt on your outstretched tongue

Sing.
It's spring.
Just one word.


I'd sit across the hall
looking upwards until I saw the flicker; light on
Sit with you while your busy hands rolled over these plains, these fields
The stretches of nothing
(Look at…