Skip to main content

Chik-Lit

I have a real cool friend. His name is Mark. He has the best hair ever. It is this wonderful mass of uncontained curl you want to sink your fingers into. Often.
He provides me with great tunes.
He makes me figure out my own computer problems unless he suspects I might crash. He acted very proud of me when I figured out how to put in a link.
Did I tell you? Mark is a web designer. Of some sort. Or something.
He is really smart.
Went to university for like eight years.
And not just for the pot, man.

Mark calls me Chick-lette. I like that. His play with words.

Mark has a daughter. She is beautiful.
But Mark and I like to hang out when we do not have children. He brings coffee and we talk for hours.
He has spent the night over a few times.
I invite all my friends to at least my couch if they do not feel like traveling home. Most of them have far to go.
Mark is no exception.
Mark has slept in my bed with me.
But the last time he was over, he said Let's go to my place.
And I thought why not? He had moved a few months before hand and I had not been there.
Mark has a really cool computer.
It is an Apple.
And it is pretty.
Everything about it is.
He told me how much it cost.
I then remembered how much I love the computer sitting back in my own home. I did not play with Mark's computer.
We drank Sprite and talked for hours and hours.
He offered me the couch, his bed, whatever.
I asked if we had to have sex.
He said Man, I just want to fucking sleep.
And I said Thank God.
I got to see Mark's bed for the first time.
Five mattresses piled upon each other.
How fucking cool is that?
I felt like The Princess who felt The Pea all night long.
It's been a few years since I was on of those.

I got up in the morning and he offered me the coffee.
That was three years old.
I smiled and said Give me a hug and he did.
I am out of here, buddy, I said.
See you, Chick-lette, he replied.

Comments

ticknart said…
Awsome.
Brian said…
Very nice indeed. Listen, Apple is the way to go - it's no wonder your friend is cool. Anyone with an Apple is worth having sex with in my book (any female for me, but you do what works for you, right). That's really all I have to say.
Queenie said…
Hey, I am high class.
The first step is buying me an Apple.

Q
cbeck said…
I got an apple this morning. Fresh and juicy. Why not say we'll share the first bite?
Queenie said…
Sounds like a good idea, baby.
Such a pleasant way to start the morning.

Q
phoebe said…
I love this.
i am confused why you haven't had sex with him yet. the five mattresses would have for sure pushed me over the edge. that's if i hadn't already succumbed to the "mass of uncontained curl you want to sink your fingers into"....i must be easy.
AJ said…
Sometimes, like when I'm asleep, I feel the Pea too.

But sometimes, like when I'm asleep, and I feel the Pea, I just decide I'm too tired to get up and go, so I hold it.
Diva said…
What a lovely post. Maybe I'm just too emotional these days, or maybe it's just the PMS, but this one brought tears to my eyes.
Mmmmm... said…
I like this post...
Check said…
isn't it just wonderful to be with friends like that? who have loads of stories and calls you with a cutie name to boot? wish i have one of those... of the opposite sex that is... :) what a post!

Popular posts from this blog

Again

When I was in Ottawa, abandoned and enthralled,
breathing in the
heat waves shimmering off the people
and the cats
and that lazy raccoon that I later named Mondrian in my mind
after I saw my first one,
I did not look for you.
Nor in the malls, the halls,
the magazines, in the new towns,
or down the old roads,
on silver screens, between the book shelves, down on my knees
hands in the clover.
Never.
I took you for granted.
Oh hey.
There you are.

I know myself
Far, far, far more than I let on
I know what I am doing.
Regardless.


Love is such an easy word.
Besides, it's a given,
We can keep it there, easy, big, broad like the straight black painted lines, it's nice.
Effortless. Quiet. Assured.
So then, I guess that it is not the word.

Punks-Starting to Remember

Minnie is 14. She likes wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Right now, Tommy is arguing with her. "Vitto will be waiting for me then."
"He can wait longer," she tells him. "Tell him there was too many cops following you around or something."
"Yeah," Tommy says. "That might work. Vitto would believe that. Three different cops stopped me on the street this week."
"What?" Minnie almost shouted. "Oh, Tommy. They are on to you."
“No, they aren't."
But she knew. "For sure they are. Listen. Meet me outside the pool hall at 9:30. I'll havethe dope then, Tommy."
“No. I really should go see Vitto first.” He kisses her quickly on the forehead and then runs home to make himself some Kraft Dinner for supper.

When he walks in the front door, there is Momma with a bottle of whiskey tucked between her legs, her head rolled to the back of the couch, her mouth open.
"What the fuck, Momma?” Tomm…

Quiet Company

I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold, I'm being sold-out
It is torture but
I don't even care
Except to love you more, to love myself more
Those hot-burned tears for you as I rally to save my skin
wind down me and leave behind gold and green
and I don't stop looking
until I look upon you
What on earth...
I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold.
I'm being sold-out.


Sunlight filtering through cracks
in the sky
in the walls
fall across your skin
I fingerpaint across your chest
Every word
known to man
and found in you

Fresh snow
Our footprints mark us
You are here!
I am here!
We are here!
Turn your face upwards
Let falling snow rest on your eyelashes
(dream of me)
Let the white melt on your outstretched tongue

Sing.
It's spring.
Just one word.


I'd sit across the hall
looking upwards until I saw the flicker; light on
Sit with you while your busy hands rolled over these plains, these fields
The stretches of nothing
(Look at…