Skip to main content

The Table

I always seem to have too much laundry.
It piles up in weird places. Almost daily, I will notice a pile at the end of the hall and then another little one in the bathroom.
Bathroom little piles do not bother me. People who come over, can see a small laundry pile in there.
But in case they do come over, I take the time to fold it all. Instead of just throwing it down my basement stairs.
I can find more piles in my room, the kids room's and the living room. Although clothes in my kitchen do happen, it is a very odd and rare occurrence. I always have to think about why the clothing is in the kitchen. Even if I did it. I am always puzzled to see it.
I keep these piles around my house, and will even create some, on purpose.
In case I need a breather. I need these at least once a day. For one of a thousand different reasons.
I will grab one of these laundry piles and take it downstairs.

A few months ago, I got the thrills of lending my basement to my friend, Wendy, for storage.
Now, I am a nice friend. I did not charge her a penny.
And I did real well for about a week. I did not go down there to look at her stuff.
But there comes a point in time, where if you do not do something, someone might be getting a free large pizza for taking you into the local psychiatric ward.
I went to take a look. A good one.
The next day, there was a man at my house and I ordered him as to what I wanted brought up. A beautiful glass and wooden cabinet and a half moon, behind-the-couch-in-the-soap-operas table.
I stole her bath mats, too.
Then I called her.

"Hey, Wendy," I said.
"Hey," she answered.
"So, I brought some of your stuff upstairs."
"Oh?"
I told her.
"Well...," she sighed. "Don't wreck it."
"Shut-up," I laughed. "It is too nice to be sitting in my damp basement."
"If your basement was damp."
"I am free storage," I threatened.
"You are my friend."
"I am nosy and I liked it."
"Don't wreck it."

I have since offered her money for her stuff. I have also tried to bribe money from other people so I can offer her larger sums. She really likes her stuff.

On a laundry trip to the basement, back a few months ago, I noticed Wendy's kitchen table. I pulled two of the wooden chairs from the table top and sat with my feet up. And it felt good.
I went back upstairs.
I started to do it all the time.

Suddenly, I experienced an increase in laundry and I was not too happy. With myself.
That damn kitchen table.
I wanted to sit there so bad, I just started throwing the laundry beside the washer on my way through.
One time, I caught myself down there five times in one day. Not doing laundry.

Wendy came two weeks ago to move her stuff. She was moving 45 minutes away. I had spent the night before saying good-bye to the glass cabinet and the half-moon table. They were so beautiful. And so not mine. It was breaking my heart.
When the basement became almost empty, Wendy came up to me. "We will have to come back for this stuff upstairs and the fish aquarium after we drop this off."
"Okay," I said.

"Beth," Wendy called a few hours later. "We are all too tired to come get the rest of the stuff tonight. We have agreed here, to do it in a few weeks."
"For real," I said, excitement in my voice. Yea! A few more weeks to think of ways to con these wonderful pieces out of her!
"Yeah, because, well...Thanks for letting me keep everything there so long."
"I enjoyed it," I said.
"I know," she said.
"You still coming next week for the night?"
"Yep."

I was in the basement the next day, with a load of whites in my hand looking at my basement. Wow. It was big.
And I had nowhere to sit. I tried my grey steps. Oh, they sucked so bad.
I got up and did a load of laundry.
Sigh. Silly me. I had been saying good-bye to the wrong things.

I miss you, Wendy.



Comments

Esther said…
I'm sure laundry has a secret life. It multiplies in the dark.
Well written as always :)
phoebe said…
with this kind of tribute, you ought to at least get to keep something. :-) great piece.
Queenie said…
I do get to keep something. :)

Q
Inanna said…
You get to keep Wendy!!! I loved that so much. I've had that happen myself... and my laundry is all over my house. I'm sure if I gathered it up I would find more than 5 outfits to wear to work...sigh.. maybe tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

Again

When I was in Ottawa, abandoned and enthralled,
breathing in the
heat waves shimmering off the people
and the cats
and that lazy raccoon that I later named Mondrian in my mind
after I saw my first one,
I did not look for you.
Nor in the malls, the halls,
the magazines, in the new towns,
or down the old roads,
on silver screens, between the book shelves, down on my knees
hands in the clover.
Never.
I took you for granted.
Oh hey.
There you are.

I know myself
Far, far, far more than I let on
I know what I am doing.
Regardless.


Love is such an easy word.
Besides, it's a given,
We can keep it there, easy, big, broad like the straight black painted lines, it's nice.
Effortless. Quiet. Assured.
So then, I guess that it is not the word.

Punks-Starting to Remember

Minnie is 14. She likes wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Right now, Tommy is arguing with her. "Vitto will be waiting for me then."
"He can wait longer," she tells him. "Tell him there was too many cops following you around or something."
"Yeah," Tommy says. "That might work. Vitto would believe that. Three different cops stopped me on the street this week."
"What?" Minnie almost shouted. "Oh, Tommy. They are on to you."
“No, they aren't."
But she knew. "For sure they are. Listen. Meet me outside the pool hall at 9:30. I'll havethe dope then, Tommy."
“No. I really should go see Vitto first.” He kisses her quickly on the forehead and then runs home to make himself some Kraft Dinner for supper.

When he walks in the front door, there is Momma with a bottle of whiskey tucked between her legs, her head rolled to the back of the couch, her mouth open.
"What the fuck, Momma?” Tomm…

Quiet Company

I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold, I'm being sold-out
It is torture but
I don't even care
Except to love you more, to love myself more
Those hot-burned tears for you as I rally to save my skin
wind down me and leave behind gold and green
and I don't stop looking
until I look upon you
What on earth...
I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold.
I'm being sold-out.


Sunlight filtering through cracks
in the sky
in the walls
fall across your skin
I fingerpaint across your chest
Every word
known to man
and found in you

Fresh snow
Our footprints mark us
You are here!
I am here!
We are here!
Turn your face upwards
Let falling snow rest on your eyelashes
(dream of me)
Let the white melt on your outstretched tongue

Sing.
It's spring.
Just one word.


I'd sit across the hall
looking upwards until I saw the flicker; light on
Sit with you while your busy hands rolled over these plains, these fields
The stretches of nothing
(Look at…