Skip to main content

Reading Grounds

I like libraries. The warm tones and the quietness and the books. I love to people-watch the kind that sits reading or studying. The best time to go to the library is at 7 p.m. But alas, I cannot go there too often. It might result in me getting a library card.
And that is some risky business.
I take out too many books. More than most people can read. More than I can read. Usually. Mostly. And I never take them back on time.
Taking out library books has other little dangers for me. I am a rough and tumble sort of girl. I like getting into things.
And that includes my books. By the end of a good read, the novel usually has coffee stains and a piece of the cover torn. Paperbacks have snapped spines. Some books visit my bath water. A book can age pretty quick being with me. Sometimes it gets really, really old.
There have been many times I have had to replace the entire price of the book to the library.
I will admit this happens if the book was really good and I just want to keep it too, though.
For these reasons libraries miss me. I have paid out so much to them, new ones have been built.
It is just cheaper for me to go to the bookstore.

So, I have a new book in my home. It is not mine.
I decided tonight to have a bubble bath and the book came with me. I stepped into the warm, foamy water and sunk in. I closed my eyes for five minutes. Then I reached for the book. I watched as my damp hands left wet splotches sinking into the black of it's hard cover.
Oh no.
This book has reminded me why I am not comfortable borrowing books from people, either.
I bit my lip. I had to make a decision.
I really want to read this book, even though it is not the type of book I would normally read. The person who owns this book is interesting enough for me to want to know why this book is so interesting to them.
I want to enjoy this book. It's bad enough I cannot dog-ear the pages.
So, I compromised.
I laid back in the water. I opened the book. I started reading. I like being able to get into things.
This is the last time I will treat it like shit.
I promise.

Comments

Esther said…
this brings back memories of overdue books and having to face the librarian! It also bring back fond memories of hours spent reading at the library. I never lend out my books *chuckle*
jakethelad said…
I have lots of my own books. Kind of a collector. I love the smell of the inside of a book but mostly I like reading them.
What if...the book in question...is not actually owned by the person who lent it to you, but in fact borrowed from a friend...what if...this book was a gift from his mother...water damage...What is this feeling...panic...mild panic...Oh lovely...now I'm laughing...nervous laughter...no, I wonder if he'll be upset...did you read the inside cover? his mother wrote something...for the life of me I cannot remember what it was...I hope it's still legible...
Queenie said…
Shit.
Silik said…
The best thing, I find, about a library is the smell of old books. It's hard to get that smell very many places. Book stores tend to not manage, because the books have to have aged properly before the scent can permeate the room. So I was estatic this weekend when I entered a used-book store, and the first thought I had was, "mmmmmm, library".
Queenie said…
I know a place just like that...
You have not been posting as much lately, Silik.

Q
phoebe said…
Wow, do I relate to this. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of loading up every week at the library with more books than I could comfortably carry home and reading long after the lights had gone out throughout the house. These days I only borrow books from people as hard on them as I am --- so they can't tell the difference. I tend to lend them only to such people, too, in case the others might mistake a battered book for one I wouldn't miss if it weren't returned...
Silik said…
Yeah, life's been busy. And I've had a few good books taking up my time since I hit the used-book store! Yay!

Popular posts from this blog

Again

When I was in Ottawa, abandoned and enthralled,
breathing in the
heat waves shimmering off the people
and the cats
and that lazy raccoon that I later named Mondrian in my mind
after I saw my first one,
I did not look for you.
Nor in the malls, the halls,
the magazines, in the new towns,
or down the old roads,
on silver screens, between the book shelves, down on my knees
hands in the clover.
Never.
I took you for granted.
Oh hey.
There you are.

I know myself
Far, far, far more than I let on
I know what I am doing.
Regardless.


Love is such an easy word.
Besides, it's a given,
We can keep it there, easy, big, broad like the straight black painted lines, it's nice.
Effortless. Quiet. Assured.
So then, I guess that it is not the word.

Punks-Starting to Remember

Minnie is 14. She likes wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Right now, Tommy is arguing with her. "Vitto will be waiting for me then."
"He can wait longer," she tells him. "Tell him there was too many cops following you around or something."
"Yeah," Tommy says. "That might work. Vitto would believe that. Three different cops stopped me on the street this week."
"What?" Minnie almost shouted. "Oh, Tommy. They are on to you."
“No, they aren't."
But she knew. "For sure they are. Listen. Meet me outside the pool hall at 9:30. I'll havethe dope then, Tommy."
“No. I really should go see Vitto first.” He kisses her quickly on the forehead and then runs home to make himself some Kraft Dinner for supper.

When he walks in the front door, there is Momma with a bottle of whiskey tucked between her legs, her head rolled to the back of the couch, her mouth open.
"What the fuck, Momma?” Tomm…

Quiet Company

I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold, I'm being sold-out
It is torture but
I don't even care
Except to love you more, to love myself more
Those hot-burned tears for you as I rally to save my skin
wind down me and leave behind gold and green
and I don't stop looking
until I look upon you
What on earth...
I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold.
I'm being sold-out.


Sunlight filtering through cracks
in the sky
in the walls
fall across your skin
I fingerpaint across your chest
Every word
known to man
and found in you

Fresh snow
Our footprints mark us
You are here!
I am here!
We are here!
Turn your face upwards
Let falling snow rest on your eyelashes
(dream of me)
Let the white melt on your outstretched tongue

Sing.
It's spring.
Just one word.


I'd sit across the hall
looking upwards until I saw the flicker; light on
Sit with you while your busy hands rolled over these plains, these fields
The stretches of nothing
(Look at…