Skip to main content

Probably August

Circumstances have made it possible for me to enjoy another self-indulgent walk. This one I get to take at almost 10 o'clock.
It has been raining off and on here all night. Light sprinkles fall from the deepest blue sky as I step outside and although the rain is a bit colder than I normally like, I enjoy the feel of it tonight.
I decide to turn left. It is garbage night. Everyone on the street is so neat. Their is no shame in placing their garbage bags right below the street lights.

It was the summer I was ten years old and my brother was eight. We used to hang "Outback". Daily, we would hop the fence at the end of our two-acre property into a subdivision of houses. Our gang of kids was large and diverse. Everybody played together. At least sometimes.

The day's sky had turned from a light blue to a pale grey. It was an unexpected colder day. We were all suffering in our shorts and tee-shirts but nobody wanted to go home. A parent might suddenly decide a bedroom needed to be cleaned.
Some kids lasted longer than others. But soon, it was only Nancy, my brother and his best friend, Jeff, and I left. It was three in the afternoon.
We decided to walk around the neighborhood to keep warm. It was too cold to ride our bikes. The garbage men had still not made it to the area.
We were two houses passed Jeff's when my brother noticed a large branch cut from a pine tree in the garbage.
"Shit, it looks like a Christmas tree," he said.
We all agreed with him.
We all also agreed to drag the large branch over to the vacant lot down the street and plant it.
"It needs decoration," said Nancy, afterwards. She was a childhood Martha Stewart.
"What would we even use?" asked Jeff.
"We will have to hurry. Those garbage men could come soon," I said.
"No way!" Jeff exclaimed, horrified. "I will get in how much trouble if I am caught."
I rolled my eyes at him. "Just come on."

We took things like bottle caps and newspaper from people's recycling boxes. Nancy grabbed all the plastic ribbing she could find. I decided the tabs off popcans would make great mock lights. Jeff found a make-up Barbie head with gummy blonde hair. Mike found a stash of popsicle sticks in a shoe box.
The garbage man must have been perturbed to find no one had used twist ties on their bags that week in the neighborhood.

We lugged our loot back to the tree.
"We got to get some garland for this tree before we put anything on it," Nancy said.
My brother said "We could split-up."
"Good idea," answered Nancy. "We will meet back here in half an hour."
I watched my brother and his friend run off. "They are just going to take off to do something else, you know."
"Boys will be boys," Nancy sighed.
We decided we would be able to find some nice flowers for the tree up on Marijuana Mountain. We did not know what marijuana really was. We just called it that because all the older kids did. We always felt cool hanging out there. In the daytime.
We figured right about the flowers and came back to our little tree with armfuls.
The boys came back with nothing but the idea that we should go to the cornfield and peel some husks off the corn. It could be tied together for even more garland. Nancy thought it was a good idea and off we went down the block.
Jeff found a stick on the ground. He looked up at me. He said "I bet we can make some real cool stuff if we peel the bark off sticks."
I thought that was a neat idea.

We had fun decorating the tree that afternoon. Nancy kissed my little brother on the cheek in exchange for his hoard of popsicle sticks. And she bravely snuck home for some glue. Jeff and I decided we could make candy canes from bark. It was time consuming and we only did one each.
Nancy made a elaborate star for the top of the tree out of the sticks. Her and Jeff got into a big fight. What else could be done with his Barbie head? It had to be the topper.
The star ended up winning.

We broke-up for supper with the promise to return in an hour. We had decided we would each come back with little presents for each other to open under our tree.

We converged, dressed warmer in pants and windbreakers, each carrying our little plastic garbage bags of goodies. We were full of excitement.
I gave Nancy four Archie comic books I knew she had not read.
She gave me her favorite ring from her costume box collection.
Jeff gave Nancy the Barbie head.

My brother was the smart one though that night. He had raided the cupboards at home. He gave everyone food.
We sat around that little Christmas tree gorging ourselves on pretzels, marshmallows and macaroni noodles.
We did not notice the cold air.
We did not notice anything but each other and our laughter.

"Oh, no," I said looking up. There were so many stars in the sky.
We all looked at each other, dread creeping up our spines and filling our throats. We all knew the when the street lights come on curfew.
My brother and I ran all the way home, our bumped and bruised legs ahead of our minds. It seemed like we had been running forever before we even reached the fence to hop.
I looked up at the black numbered clock that hung above the stove when we burst through the door into the house.
It was almost ten o'clock.

Not one of us kids got in trouble that night.
I'd like to say it happened in July.
But it was probably August.





Comments

phoebe said…
you're a great storyweaver, Q.
Tammy said…
Nice. Nostalgic. I really enjoyed reading it.
Inanna said…
It was like watching the whole thing in Technicolor from the stars. Excellent.
AJ said…
Wonderous...
I don't know about anyone else, but I just don't spend enough time remembering things like that. We all have those stories, but how often do we stop to pull them out and dip our toes in the cool water once again...

Thanks for the reminder Beth...
cbeck said…
Ahh the simplicity. Where did it go? Where did it go...

Popular posts from this blog

Again

When I was in Ottawa, abandoned and enthralled,
breathing in the
heat waves shimmering off the people
and the cats
and that lazy raccoon that I later named Mondrian in my mind
after I saw my first one,
I did not look for you.
Nor in the malls, the halls,
the magazines, in the new towns,
or down the old roads,
on silver screens, between the book shelves, down on my knees
hands in the clover.
Never.
I took you for granted.
Oh hey.
There you are.

I know myself
Far, far, far more than I let on
I know what I am doing.
Regardless.


Love is such an easy word.
Besides, it's a given,
We can keep it there, easy, big, broad like the straight black painted lines, it's nice.
Effortless. Quiet. Assured.
So then, I guess that it is not the word.

Punks-Starting to Remember

Minnie is 14. She likes wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Right now, Tommy is arguing with her. "Vitto will be waiting for me then."
"He can wait longer," she tells him. "Tell him there was too many cops following you around or something."
"Yeah," Tommy says. "That might work. Vitto would believe that. Three different cops stopped me on the street this week."
"What?" Minnie almost shouted. "Oh, Tommy. They are on to you."
“No, they aren't."
But she knew. "For sure they are. Listen. Meet me outside the pool hall at 9:30. I'll havethe dope then, Tommy."
“No. I really should go see Vitto first.” He kisses her quickly on the forehead and then runs home to make himself some Kraft Dinner for supper.

When he walks in the front door, there is Momma with a bottle of whiskey tucked between her legs, her head rolled to the back of the couch, her mouth open.
"What the fuck, Momma?” Tomm…

Quiet Company

I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold, I'm being sold-out
It is torture but
I don't even care
Except to love you more, to love myself more
Those hot-burned tears for you as I rally to save my skin
wind down me and leave behind gold and green
and I don't stop looking
until I look upon you
What on earth...
I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold.
I'm being sold-out.


Sunlight filtering through cracks
in the sky
in the walls
fall across your skin
I fingerpaint across your chest
Every word
known to man
and found in you

Fresh snow
Our footprints mark us
You are here!
I am here!
We are here!
Turn your face upwards
Let falling snow rest on your eyelashes
(dream of me)
Let the white melt on your outstretched tongue

Sing.
It's spring.
Just one word.


I'd sit across the hall
looking upwards until I saw the flicker; light on
Sit with you while your busy hands rolled over these plains, these fields
The stretches of nothing
(Look at…