Skip to main content

I Remember

To Whoever you are...
Wherever you are...

The Easter Egg was a beautiful navy blue with ribbons of pink, purple and yellow running through it's foil wrapper. It sat far upon my window's top ledge.
I stood on my tippy-toes, my 4 year old self reaching. I wanted to hold that egg so bad.
But I could not reach it.
Not even when I stood on my bed.
Tears streamed down my face and a fear started to tingle in my bones. It was so horrible to be so small.

I woke suddenly with the sick feeling of my heart racing.
I sat up and peeled the blankets from my warm little body. My nightgown was damp against my skin.
The bedroom was dim as the last of the day's light was being sucked behind a nighttime curtain. I could hear the soft sighs of my little brother's slumber and I looked across the room to see him curled in a ball, sucking his thumb. My own finger was wrinkled from being in my mouth.
I shuffled over to the edge of the bed and dropped down, letting my bare feet touch the cool tiled flooring. I moved close to the window to peer out.
A cool breeze washed slowly over my face, drying the wet spots my tears had left behind.
It had rained not too long before I had opened my eyes. The road was a mix of dark and light where the rain was starting to dry.
Everything was calm and it calmed me.
I could smell the lilac tree, alive and wet. I watched it quivering slightly in the breeze.
I heard the teenage girls before I saw them. There was four of them and they were riding their bikes down the quiet street.
Three rode passed my house.
One stopped. She placed one leg on the road, leaning with her hands resting on her handlebars.
She had spotted me staring out the window.
Her bike was blue and she was in a red shirt and white shorts. She was 16 years old and her blonde hair was up in a ponytail.
She looked up at me from beneath the soft glow of the street lamp.
"Can't you sleep?" she asked me.
I could hear the sound of the television in the living room. Still...
I looked at her and said nothing.
"Cat got your tongue?" Her smile was large and warm.
I looked behind me towards my closed bedroom door and then looked back at her.
She was still smiling when she brought her finger up to her lips.
I smiled back.
"Will you go back to bed if I sing you a song, then?"
I nodded.
Her voice started low, gaining confidence until it was clear, coming from deep within her chest.
Just a lullaby.
My hands gripped the window ledge and I prayed she was not loud enough for my mother to hear.
She paused when she was done, looking at me with the softest smile. "Will you sleep now?"
I nodded again, slowly.
"Go on, then," she urged me.
I raised my hand, stalling and waved a shy wave at her.
"Good night," she whispered.
I hoisted myself back into my bed, wrapping the covers around me.
I listened to the sound of her tires leaving on wet pavement until I couldn't.

Comments

Esther said…
lovely story. I'm browsing through your previous blogs and I'll definately be back when I have more time
AJ said…
I'm on my way out the door. I have a very boring two and a half hour truck drive to Chattanooga, ahead of me, to deliver the last of my daughter's belongings to her. A sad drive. But it won't be quite as sad now, because I'll be thinking of this haunting, wonderful story.

And smiling.

Thank you again Beth...
whirligirl said…
Very cool.

Today my husband Mark brought to my attention that you are my grandblogger (through Juner).

I'll bet I have a whole bunch of great-grandbloggers through you, that I don't even know about. You're such an inspiration!
Inanna said…
That is just beautiful. I'm a pen freak too!!! I love pens, especially the Pilot gel pens, in black though. Its gotta be black with a fine point, only fine. I'm salivating. Still haven't finished all of your posts but love your blog.
Queenie said…
I have this wonderful pen that writes silver. I have had it for a year and a half. I use it little because I know I will never buy another one.
I am Bic's biggest fan.
cbeck said…
You always leave me daydreaming. I bet she never forgot you either.
I am so glad you finally put this out there, And know that the offer still stands to take you back there...
phoebe said…
I LOVE this. Thanks Queenie.

Popular posts from this blog

Again

When I was in Ottawa, abandoned and enthralled,
breathing in the
heat waves shimmering off the people
and the cats
and that lazy raccoon that I later named Mondrian in my mind
after I saw my first one,
I did not look for you.
Nor in the malls, the halls,
the magazines, in the new towns,
or down the old roads,
on silver screens, between the book shelves, down on my knees
hands in the clover.
Never.
I took you for granted.
Oh hey.
There you are.

I know myself
Far, far, far more than I let on
I know what I am doing.
Regardless.


Love is such an easy word.
Besides, it's a given,
We can keep it there, easy, big, broad like the straight black painted lines, it's nice.
Effortless. Quiet. Assured.
So then, I guess that it is not the word.

Punks-Starting to Remember

Minnie is 14. She likes wearing bright red lipstick and getting high.
Right now, Tommy is arguing with her. "Vitto will be waiting for me then."
"He can wait longer," she tells him. "Tell him there was too many cops following you around or something."
"Yeah," Tommy says. "That might work. Vitto would believe that. Three different cops stopped me on the street this week."
"What?" Minnie almost shouted. "Oh, Tommy. They are on to you."
“No, they aren't."
But she knew. "For sure they are. Listen. Meet me outside the pool hall at 9:30. I'll havethe dope then, Tommy."
“No. I really should go see Vitto first.” He kisses her quickly on the forehead and then runs home to make himself some Kraft Dinner for supper.

When he walks in the front door, there is Momma with a bottle of whiskey tucked between her legs, her head rolled to the back of the couch, her mouth open.
"What the fuck, Momma?” Tomm…

Quiet Company

I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold, I'm being sold-out
It is torture but
I don't even care
Except to love you more, to love myself more
Those hot-burned tears for you as I rally to save my skin
wind down me and leave behind gold and green
and I don't stop looking
until I look upon you
What on earth...
I've been sold, I've been sold, I've been sold.
I'm being sold-out.


Sunlight filtering through cracks
in the sky
in the walls
fall across your skin
I fingerpaint across your chest
Every word
known to man
and found in you

Fresh snow
Our footprints mark us
You are here!
I am here!
We are here!
Turn your face upwards
Let falling snow rest on your eyelashes
(dream of me)
Let the white melt on your outstretched tongue

Sing.
It's spring.
Just one word.


I'd sit across the hall
looking upwards until I saw the flicker; light on
Sit with you while your busy hands rolled over these plains, these fields
The stretches of nothing
(Look at…