Skip to main content

It Has Remote Control

I am thrilled. I am so lucky. I am beside myself.
Unexpectedly, I have no children all weekend long.
It comes at a shock at 5:30 p.m. I just do not even know what to do with myself. I have had no time to plan!
I decide I will plan tonight, maybe write, and blare the music full blast until 4 a.m.-because I can!!!!
But because I am home anyway, I will do a load of laundry.
Except here we go again with the no-power to my basement appliances.
I start to feel like this is punishment for being so happy to be without children for the week-end. Now I will have to find someone to help me.
Cindy has fixed this before. But she had time to plan for her Friday evening. She is not going to be home.
My mind begins to race. I know so few people who even have knowledge of this kind of stuff. Or maybe everyone has knowledge of breaker systems and I am just under some assumption you have to be a brain surgeon to get them.
Ian.
I will call Ian. He is afterall, a man. Men usually know more about this stuff.
The phone rings six times.
I can hear the annoyance in Ian's hello.
"Hi Ian," I say in my happy-chirpy-crazy me way.
I know he is rolling his eyes. Sigh. "Hi, Beth."
"How you doing? What's new with you?" I say.
"Just bought a new fan."
"Oh, yeah?" My mind races. Man. New fan. "Does it have a radio in it?"
"No, but it has a remote control!" Ian exclaims.
"For real? That is too cool."
I ask Ian for his help and he agrees. He will be right over.
And he is. In twenty minutes.
"Come on," he says to me when he gets here. "I am going to show you how to use the breaker box."
I trot along down my stairs behind him. Cool! I am all for today's lesson on how to be a boy.
"See the list?" he points to a long white one.
"Uh-huh," I say.
"See how it says kitchen, and it is marked with a 1? This one says master bedroom and it has a 2 beside it?"
"Right," I say.
"And this one says basement. It has a number 6. All you got to do is find the number 6 on these black switches and flick."
"Uh-huh," I say again. "I have been down here before. How do you know that list is right?"
"It is."
"But how do you know?"
"I don't-but it is."
"See? Even you have doubts," I accuse him. "I am going to go upstairs now. Fix this please, Ian. And if the whole house blows up, at least I didn't do it."
"Fixed," Ian says a few minutes later when he meets me up in the kitchen.
"You wanna drink?" I ask, already pouring him a glass of pop.
"Yep."
Ian and I sat around talking for two hours.
In a pause, Ian says, "It stands 36 inches high."
What? Oh, that fan, again. It is the fourth time tonight he has brought that thing up-
Oh, jesus.
"Ian, I am a horrible friend. Go home and play with your new toy. I really want to get to my music cranking, anyway!"
"Thank god." he says, laughing. "Gimmie a hug."
I oblige and as he has me wrapped up in his bear hug he says "Remote control. Amazing."
I shake my head at him as he lets go. "Thanks Ian, for fixing my power issue."
"You got it," he points and winks and is gone.

If one more person can manage to not blow up my house, I will believe breaker 6 really is for my basement.


Comments

ger said…
Sometimes when the band that lives below us is practicing their songs that are "reinventing the style of music made popular by such great bands as pink floyd and led zeppelin" i think about going into their basement, which is attached to ours and looking for the number that coincides with their living room.

But then I realize that if I did that they would call the cops the next time we decided to bowl with beer bottles and boulders in our hallway at 3am.
Queenie said…
I am glad to have made you realize their is a reason to appreciate your neighbors.
AJ in Nashville said…
Pssst...

Trust the fan-man. Put all your chips on Number Six...


:)

Popular posts from this blog

The Village Itself

Across the road from my home is an apartment building. It is made of brown brick and has three stories. It also has plenty of windows I often forget about while I go about my daily and nightly routines. I also forget my curtains are white, lacey and see-through scraps purchased from an aisle in Wal-Mart. Fifteen apartments. That may all house people with binoculars. It was the muggiest night this past summer had owned. Brenda was down for a visit and when she comes, it usually means a night spent over on my couch for her. Brenda lives in another town. It was one in the morning, no sleep to be found between the two us. We sat slouched on my front porch trying to capture the occasional breeze offered, sucking it deep into our lungs, praying it would cool us down. Our glasses of Pepsi sweated warning us how warm the drink would taste in our mouths. "Tilly! Tilly!" the shout sat our spines straight as we looked across the street to the where the sound was coming fr...

Rosy Cheeks

My son's circle and lined wall, created with the permanent red marker, became something he liked to show-off. I guess the other kids who come here liked it, too.   I guess he wanted to show-off more. That is one of the many hypothesis I have about how the Map of Africa came to be. I just keep hoping my kid is some kind of odd little genius.  On the morning I discovered the map of Africa, I was not speechless and I could breathe. "What is this?" I demanded. And loudly. My son shrugged his shoulders. "I like it. It's nice. Took a long time." He had chipped paint off the wall. His walls are white. That morning, it was discovered his room used to be beige.   And it was starting to look like a room in an abandoned house. I thought to myself that maybe this look would be the in thing  20 years from now and he could make millions. He could be a visionary. It was a good enough excuse for me to leave the room. I used it...

..What Are You Waiting For?

She had a real calm smile; it took its time creeping up into her eyes. And there she was looking up at me. She was sitting, right down there on the sidewalk, up against the wall of the bank. Her hand was wrapped around a red pen; buried into a magazine. And I was walking by her. Her eyes were brown. I did not smile back at her. One can never be too sure about anyone who is downtown. A few days later; it was grey and chilly, and I saw her again. With the same simple smile; this time growing into recognition. She stood just inside the entrance way of the video store, ducked, despite the fact she was barley five feet tall and the doorway was at least ten. Funny girl, I thought. Her smile passed by quickly, and then she bent her head down, to the inside of another magazine. She took a long, lipstick drag off a cigarette. "What are you doing?" she asked, when I was passing by her a day and a half later. And I stopped my step, for I was truly stumped. I looked down at my br...